Birding the Homestead Racetrack Fields

Made a fun drive yesterday afternoon in the agricultural fields close to the Homestead-Miami speedway and I was pleasantly surprised by the good variety of migratory shorebirds and resident wading birds seen.

Highlights included up-close views of Stilt Sandpiper, Long-billed Dowitcher and over 30 Pectoral Sandpipers, dozens of Ibises (Glossy being the more common) and Cattle Egrets, and 11 Mottled Ducks flying around.

Since the agricultural fields in West Kendall were closed down, this is probably the best place left in Miami to see these migratory shorebirds on their way South this Fall season.

(eBird checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S92572166)

Luis, Yes, this is a and easy spot to get good looks at the migrating shorebirds her me in M-D County. I only wish I could get the beautiful pictures that you present on the New BirdBoard!

Glad you liked the photos, the camera I use is a simple point and shoot (Nikon COOLPIX P900), it’s not great if there’s a lot of branches and leaves in the way, but at close distance with an open view it can give some amazing shots!